Thursday, September 11, 2014

No F stocks...

GIS- why do I own it?

I grew up in a small town. The largest factory in town is a General Mills plant. It's still there nearly 50 years later. When they're making Cheerios, the whole town smells like breakfast. Need I say more? Really...rock solid generous dividend, decades of dividend growth, constant, modest rise in value; anchor stock. Will there ever be a reason to sell? Doubt it... in 12 months, 11% total return with 3% dividend and DRIP. SWAN stock

HCN- Health Care REIT

I'm in health care; actually injury repair. I can't imagine not paying my lease. I can't imagine any of the businesses who are my business associates in the health care enterprise not paying their lease. There isn't a much more recession-proof industry than health care. 8 years, 120% total return, 5% dividend and DRIP. Another SWAN stock.

Intel-

I have had lots of heartache over Intel.  Oregon company, smack dab in the center of the tech revolution in my adult lifetime. I've held it for more than one long period and have been left at the alter more than once. However, I can't bring myself to exclude tech from my sector diversification, so I have purchased the most cash-cow, franchise-like tech businesses I can, while avoiding those who must keep the "cult" alive to stay ahead, like AAPL. I LOVE my Apple hardware, have owned it since 1984, but not the company. I own a few monster tech firms who make critical components and own franchise systems like Windows, and oh, yeah, pay a strong dividend. That keeps me in Intel, which FINALLY was rewarded recently with some serious price appreciation.
This time; 4 years, 3+% dividend over most of that time, over 40% total return. I can live with that.

JCI- Johnson Controls

I have this thing about batteries, actually energy storage. It comes out of my interest in green-tech and renewable energy sources. The way to make them like baseload power is with batteries. JCI produces more batteries than anyone else on earth. They are not a classic DGI stock, but 33% total return in 2 years and a modest dividend isn't bad. They're part of the small dallience into alternative energy investments that I have allowed myself in recent years.

JNJ- not much to say about this one. Juggernaut. SWAN...all the acronyms. I'll hold it forever. 6 years, 120% total return, 3% dividend with DG and DRIP. Big pharma, straight out of the DGI mold.

No comments:

Post a Comment