Saturday, September 13, 2014

K and on...

why do I own them?

KMR- Pipeline MLP.  I love the toll-road concept. I love the domestic oil/gas boom, not so much because we continue to consume hydrocarbons like a drunkard, but because we can stick a finger into the eye of OPEC. With pipeline MLPs, very little commodity price risk in the returns. All transport is contractual, with fixed rates regardless of oil/gas prices.  5 years, 150+% total return, 5% dividends with dividend growth. Dividends paid in stock, so no K-1 concerns.  This one will take me well into retirement, even after Mr. Kinder converts it into a C-corp in the near future.

KO- I bought into the mystique. When I bought it, divi was over 3%.  This is the classic DGI stock of the last century. there are few places on earth where you can't get a Coke. They sell hundreds of other beverages, including water. I like a company who can package water and convince you to drink it in preference to what comes out of the tap! It has performed flawlessly, almost, across decades. No reason to think it won't continue.

MCD, MMM, MSFT

MCD- franchise, DGI stock, dominant fast food restaurant on the planet. I eat at McDonalds in spite of all the bad press. I like a number of things on the menu and they ARE consistent over time, and uniformly fast in service.  4 years, 50% total return, 3% dividend, with dividend growth.
MMM- decades of innovation in materials, the maker of post-it notes and duct tape, a million other products we can't live without, also DGI stock. 16% total return in about 6 months...not bad.
MSFT- Finally they have shed Ballmer! the unloved sibling of AAPL, which owns 80% of the enterprise software market used by businesses world-wide to send email, process words, do simple spreadsheet analysis. AND, they meet the 3% dividend threshold.  over 100% total return in 3 years.

NGG- this has been a fantastic utility ride...4 years, over 100% total return, 4+% dividend, business on both sides of the Atlantic.  I love utilities and this one is rock solid. 

O- the Monthly Income Company.
I found this one myself...no-one led me to it. It was my first REIT, before I knew what powerful wealth producing machines REITs could be.  It has been an absolutely predictable 10% per year return vehicle, with the big dividend, the DRIP, the very conservative capital allocation strategy. I'm totally hooked on triple-net equity REITs and I own several across the sectors. You'll have to pry them from my cold, dead hands. 7 years, 84 dividends, 100% total return. Not sexy, but very reliable. I find that just fine.

OFC- another REIT, in the corporate office space. I bought this one for the story; builds for and leases to US government and defense contractors who need physically and electronically secure buildings. VERY STICKY Leaseholders!!! They pay their rent!!!
2.5 years,  30% total return, large and growing distribution all fit my model. I'm not adding new money, but the DRIP has a big effect on this one due to the large distribution, so it's keeping pace with my other holdings.

PG- big dog in the consumer staples sector. 4 years, 50% total return, 3% dividend with DG and DRIP. Starting to sound familiar?  People won't stop buying their stuff.

ROIC- shopping center REIT, centered in upscale western cities, neighborhoods with higher income than average. Grocery store anchor is the model.  2 years, 20% total return, large and growing distribution, DRIP.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

RYAM- spin-off from fiber REIT. Small dalliance into the edges of REITdom. Just haven't gotten around to selling it. When I see a good opportunity, I'll sell and reposition into something more orthodox.

RYN-REIT owns woodlands and produces fiber, paid 3.7% dividend, with substantial DG. Just spun out it's specialty fiber business as RYAM- not sure what will happen here; this is a small holding, perhaps best to sell it and go with something more certain.



No comments:

Post a Comment