Friday, September 11, 2015

Christmas in September

Boy was I surprised to find a big chunk of new cash in my 401k this week! I'm pretty close to the yearly limit on contributions now,  so I'm moving carefully with this cash.
It wasn't hard to top off my VTR position; the price is down, the dividend is great and it's in a sector I really like, etc.
I'm thinking a lot harder about the rest of the cash; lots of the valuations of my holdings are at 5 year lows, but they are all full positions and I'm not overly predisposed to over-weighting positions a lot.
I looked at bumping multiple positions up a bit; not highly efficient of fees, but  the idea follows the "portfolio bet" strategy. I would be averaging down in most of these.
I have a strong attraction to BA and CMI; not sure why I am looking at industrials, given the uncertainty of the world economy, but BA is in a duopoly in a world that is craving mobility, and CMI is somewhat industry agnostic, as their engines power applications across the spectrum of industrial and transportation spaces. I'd be putting two more large-cap holdings into a small-cap DGI portfolio, however.
I have also been following the big 5 Canadian banks for some time; could take a look at these...
funny; I'm not that great a shopper; much more comfortable holding and adjusting than I am at picking new stocks.
Patience has not been my strong suit when it comes to cash, so perhaps I'll just practice my patience for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment