Thursday, December 21, 2017

The higher they fly...

Who knows how and why the stock market behaves as it does?
We have a hot mess in the White House, A lunatic at the helm, but we have record low( if you massage the numbers correctly) unemployment and equity markets continue to escape gravity in spite of threats of rising interest rates, sinking dollar, federal policy chaos.

The fact is, value should follow earnings first and foremost. Clearly some equities have performance to back up their evaluaton. The market still shows signs of overvaluation with many equities at historic valuations, hardly deserved by enlightened management.

Still, I remain fully invested, adding to my own holdings more often than adding new equities.
I am collecting over 50k in dividends for the first time this calendar year. Were I to fold my small TIAA/CREF account to my IRA and then figure out the impact of my wife's retirement accountants on our potential dividedend/distribution were they rolled into such an account. I would do this rapidly, but the companies that hold her retirement funds put up considerable barriers to transferring money out of their clutches.

The portfolio won't generate enough dividend income to support us at this juncture, but the cash flow is growing considerably year by year. Circumstances at work make me want to quit yesterday, except for that uncomfortable issue about tuition, home mortgage and health care coverage.

it still seems that the best strategy is hands under the weight of ones own backside.  I have augmented a few positions that are available at a bargain and will continue this as funds come in until all positions are deemed fully invested and worm castings, compost and tea are available for routine use.  At that point I'll either swap a few or capitulate and use funds to round out the whole.

more to come...

Nathan Kemalyan

No comments:

Post a Comment