Friday, February 19, 2010

My brokerage won't do a DRIP for bonds and etc....

When I bailed out of AG Edwards-Wachovia-Wells Fargo-bankofthemonth and became a self-directed investor at Fidelity, I lost one thing of value in the process. Fidelity won't treat my mini-bonds like an equity and re-invest the monthly/quarterly interest payments for me without brokerage fees. That was one beni of the full service brokerage, but it wasn't worth the brokerage fees on new purchases. I am now forced to watch and wait until adequate interest payments have accumulated and then buy a big enough block of one or another of them to keep the positions growing and keep the cost of investing low. With the DRIP feature, I was blissfully relieved of the requirement of making a conscious decision to purchase an appreciating asset at the higher price in order to keep the position growing. How I miss that drippy thing...

fortunately, for common stocks and preferreds, as well as MLP units, the discount brokerage does DRIPs.

OK, well, it's late and I'm tired, so I'll revisit my new-found mouthpiece again tomorrow or another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment